Sunday, December 7, 2008

Settling In

Amazingly maybe this isn't so bad. I know it's been a few days since I last wrote. It feels like a year ago and I honestly don't even remember what day that was - how is that time flies so incredibly fast? I won't lie and say that I feel totally better - I don't. But I feel more capable. More becoming a family and a parent. I'm still tired but I think that is a permanent state for us now! Isn't that the case for all parents? I can't seem to figure out how people stay up past their child's bed time. We crash hard when he does and then there you go - we are asleep at 8pm and up at 5am. Ugh! Last night we stayed up til 10 and I felt like I won the lottery. I'm sure that too will come.  The one good thing is we get to see the sunrise .... oh yeah (can you tell my enthusiasm on that one.) 

 

[caption id="attachment_74" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Lovely sunrise one morning this week."]Lovely sunrise one morning this week.[/caption]

 

 

We have met with a variety of  professionals and all give us a lot of hope as to what Pandu can become. Amazingly enough today Pandu actually spoke a word that was in context and made sense with what I was doing. The word was No! Good God is that always the first word. And he is a stubborn little boy - quite the Taurus you know? 

Interestingly when I look at the pictures of the last few days we just chilled at home. And that was quite literally as our furnace went out midweek on the coldest days we've had so far. So there we were huddled in our living room with 2 space heaters making it work. We lasted through the night and the next day and came home from the doctor to a warm house courtesy of our high efficiency furnace - groan went my budget! 

As much as I want to paint the town, it is so necessary for us to be home bound right now. And man do we feel special when we do go out. Although we have noticed that MickeyDees is not as good as it used to be and well Arby's just kinda sucked. And man do you go through a lot of dishes. I feel like all I'm doing is thinking about the next meal - what are we going to feed Pandu? What are we going to eat? then we do the dishes then about 20 minutes later we are planning the next meal - wow! The food my mom made when we were gone as been a life saver! 

 

[caption id="attachment_75" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="He sleeps but will he wake up in less than a 2 hour period?"]He sleeps but will he wake up in less than a 2 hour period?[/caption]

And if we aren't thinking about food we are debating about naps. To nap or not to nap is the question. Literally. Every day Jason and I have debated and pondered and considered and hand twisted and consulted the news groups and my mother and his mother and the stars above. Does he need a nap? Most 5 year olds don't so we decide not to nap. He starts to get overstimulated so maybe he needs the nap. Then when he does nap it takes us literally an hour and a half to wake him up. I'm not kidding or exaggerating. Jason has debated about calling the Pope in on this one to get a divine opinion on the situation. For the most part we've decided to not nap and deal with waking up early for the rest of our lives! Ok, maybe just the next few months. 

Then Pandu is in love with our suitcase. We don't want to put it away because he loves it so. Should I deny my new son this simple pleasure? Maybe I should get him a box instead? Would a kennel be wrong? You tell me. 

[caption id="attachment_76" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="His first love - our suitcase"]His first love - our suitcase. [/caption]

 




[caption id="attachment_77" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Yes he is small enough to fit into our carry on size luggage."]Yes he is small enough to fit into our carry on size luggage.[/caption]

Then he is a discovering everything. He climbs on everything and this means he will either be a mountain climber or we will have a lot of trips to the emergency room - I haven't quite decided. Then he is obsessed with heaters - I don't get it but he has formed a one-on-one love relationship with our space heaters and heating vents. Thankfully none of which can hurt him but I think he'll move to Florida at some point.

 

[caption id="attachment_78" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="A love of chairs. "]A love of chairs. [/caption]

 

[caption id="attachment_79" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Love of warmth"]Love of warmth[/caption]

I think the funniest part is really introducing him to new things and seeing the smile of discovery. I bet that's it for every parent and I think that we starting to adjust to that part of it. 

 

[caption id="attachment_80" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Being bundled up in winter coat, mittens and cap. Ok, maybe mom went a little overboard."]Discovering a winter coat, mittens and a knitted cap from Chris's grandma. How cute is this?[/caption]

 

[caption id="attachment_81" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="A new snow fall."]A new snow fall is always a fun thing to discover.[/caption]

 

[caption id="attachment_82" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Being wrapped in a blanket with my favorite toy from Grandma."]Being wrapped in a blanket with my favorite toy from Grandma.[/caption]

 

[caption id="attachment_83" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="My car seat which I always fall asleep in."]My car seat which I always fall asleep in.[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_84" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Being pushed in the swings."]Having daddy push me in the swing! He loved the swings. [/caption]

 

 

[caption id="attachment_87" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Enjoying a day at the park in the sunshine."]Enjoying a day at the park in the sunshine.[/caption]

 

 

The last few days have had a lot of moments. Very nice and it's interesting to think of what I'll remember from this time frame a few months from now. Tomorrow Jason starts back to work and it will be Pandu and I all day long. Wow. I'm not sure about this one but we will work it out and I'm sure it will be ok. And he will have his first session with his TVI (Teacher of the Visually Impaired) so we shall see how that goes. The cats are doing good too. Cocoa looks at Pandu like "who the hell are you and why are you making so much noise" but that's about it. Thank God! 

 

 

 

 

Here we are at the park. Such a nice day. 

 

[caption id="attachment_86" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Relaxing on a Saturday at the park."]Relaxing on a Saturday at the park.[/caption]

1 comment:

  1. You are NOT alone please know that!!! #4 prefers hubby over me!! If he is around he is the wanted one for sure!!!

    I'm hoping with him gone during the day she will at least learn to like me!!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete