Friday, April 3, 2009

A Peek

Shock and Awe!!! 2 posts in 2 days. I forgot how much I liked this, I always do. :-) 

-----

I was thinking this morning about the peeks that we get into people's lives. If we were to look a stranger or acquaintances photo albums what would we think of their life? Would we think that they haven't known pain or strife?

Then if we were to peek into a good friend's album would our perception be different. Would we see only the happiness? Would we think their life is perfect? Would we see the marriage dissolving, the argument that just tore each other apart? Would we see the abused child? Would we see the depression hang from someone's eyes? As I read blogs and keep in touch with much of my world through an online lens, I wonder how many of my friends are hurting and I would never know. 

The online world is one major PR campaign. I'm convinced of this as people always present their lives as full and complete. happy and content. lives are beautiful and amazing but I will guarantee that not everyone is in blissful happiness. Even those that I know well and thus I know their internal struggles. I see the images they present and I cringe at the false smiles. My head screams because why do people do this? Why do people always present their lives as perfection on a plate? When it's all false. 

Perhaps I do the same thing. The images I post show a joyous new family. We are happy and content. I don't take pictures in the middle of a breakdown or a crying fit. Perhaps I should. But I suppose I am just as guilty as anyone with my PR campaign - show happiness at all costs. Or maybe I'm just trying to let the happy moments and thoughts weigh more than the negative. Who the hell knows. But I do wish when looking at my friend's online life that I saw the painful moments as much as the joyous ones. It wouldn't make me feel like such a freakzoid who is mired with depression on a semi-regular basis and a life that is yes joyous but sometimes sucky. I think we should all fire our PR companies.

Is there anyone out there? 

84876023

yes, I'm too lazy to actually sign into my getty account and thus remove the logo... but that's ok, you get the point. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment