Sunday, May 10, 2009

Thoughts on mother's day

My first one. For years I would always be sad on mother's day. I always wanted to be a mom. I always wanted to be recognized on this day. And today I was. It's interesting really. It's like most holidays. In an of itself it doesn't really have a lot of meaning. Think about it. It's a day that was created to recognize your mother. Shouldn't you recognize your mother every day? The same can be said of other holidays. So yeah, it's interesting. 

I enjoyed the day of leisure but for some reason I didn't feel like it was different than any other Sunday. I don't know... maybe I'm a cynic. ok, a lot of cynic. ... or maybe I'm fortunate enough to have each Sunday "off". 

Breakfast was delicious, church was insightful, lunch was a pain in the ass and afternoon tea at Serendipi-Tea was fabulous. But do I somehow feel a bit more like a mom. I don't know maybe Hallmark has infiltrated my brain too much. Maybe 5 years from now when I'm unappreciated a little more the holiday will mean a bit more. But for now, it's a little bit of a let down. Is that wrong to say that? 

I mean I don't want to sound ungrateful but I'm not sure what the hoopla is. I mean really. I do enjoy buying my mom a corny, sentimental card and taking her to brunch. But I enjoy that on other days too. Do I appreciate my mother more today than other day's, not really? We spat just as much as we may on any other day. So what really is the big deal? 

I don't know. I don't get it. I'm glad I can say I'm a mother. But I think I like to say that every day.

Update: A recent news report on my mothering... obviously they didn't double check their sources. http://news.cnnbcvideo.com/?nid=FODPh0wAxXbvuKhwzbwerzEzOTk3Mzc-&referred_by=16662577-wT_ciCx

No comments:

Post a Comment