Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Exposure

I can't believe that this is on my mind but well, it is. I'll say it - Jon & Kate + 8. I have a point. I do. Really. But my point has nothing to do with how she over exposes her children, yada yada yada yada. Honestly, I don't really care one way or another about what they choose to do with their kids. BUT this is why they have been on my mind. .... they have opened their lives in ways that very few of us have.

I watched last night as many people did. I fast forwarded through the attempt to set up doll houses, etc. The kids are adorable and make good tv. What was compelling enough to write about. .... the absolute angst of both Jon's and Kate's interviews. The relative openness of how they talked about something that is very painful to them. And it is painful, regardless of whether or not you are the one that wants the divorce.

They could have chosen to not say anything, to say "that's a private family matter." But they didn't. They attempted to portray a little bit more reality in reality TV. The wrath that I read about them on FB and some people's comments, is surprising to me. I think because a lot of people were more than ok with the show "exploiting their kids" when the family was portrayed as so happy, so perfect, so put together, so real life happy happy family. But the minute it turns to something that is real - pain of divorce - people are crying about "exploiting the kids." Please.

It upsets me so much because I struggle with what is real and what isn't real. I mean if I were to look at most of the people in my life, their life is perfect. I've written this before. It's not a new topic to me. I'm not saying that Jon or Kate have presented "real" in it's totality but I think that they have been as honest as they can be within the confines of their situation.

But if this was a couple that was in your circle of friends, would they tell you? Or would you wake up one day and they have split. You have to choose between the two. It has fallen by the wayside and all the while you thought they were fine. Yeah they argued but don't we all.

And this is my point. Life is ugly. Life is beauty. Life is painful. Life is wondrous. Yet why do we only share the positive? Why do we not answer truthfully when someone asks "How are you?"? Why do we constantly choose to hide behind the facade that we think people want us to have? Don't we realize that the facade is what kills you half the time.

We all admonish the facade. We criticize the fake-ness of the world yet what do we do to change it. Yesterday I said to someone that you need to remember that we includes you. So if you want something to change. If you want less fake-ness and more genuineness, do something about it. And I think Jon and Kate did do something about it. For that, I respect them.

No comments:

Post a Comment